Carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless and odorless gas that’s a byproduct of the combustion process. This invisible substance is extremely dangerous, and prolonged exposure can be fatal. Survivors of carbon monoxide poisoning may suffer from memory impairment and other serious illnesses. Your best protection against this home invader is provided by carbon monoxide detectors.
These devices detect minute amounts of carbon monoxide in the air and will trigger an alarm when the substance is noted. Since exposure to even very small amounts of carbon monoxide can be dangerous, immediate detection of its presence is invaluable.
If the device alarms, do the following:
- Exit the home immediately.
- Call the fire department.
- Do not re-enter the home until the source of carbon monoxide is located and repaired, and the home has been completed aired out.
Most municipal codes now require the installation of one of these devices near the bedrooms of a home. Additional devices will amplify your protection. A detector should be installed on every level and in any space regularly used in your home. Each bedroom should have its own device.
Correct placement of the devices is vital. Install the detector on the wall near the ceiling. Do not install one near a fuel-burning appliance. You should also avoid placing a detector within 15 feet of cooking or heating devices, or inside bathrooms where the humidity may affect the detector’s monitoring.
Rite-Way Ventilating has been proudly serving the greater Tucson area since 1959. If you have additional questions about selecting and installing carbon monoxide detectors, contact us today.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about carbon monoxide detectors and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.