The Energy Star Yardstick is a very useful tool for assessing your home’s fuel efficiency. An efficient home saves you money on energy bills and is good for the environment. The Yardstick helps measure efficiency and then provides suggestions to reduce energy costs. It is a straightforward, easy-to-use assessment tool produced by the the U.S. Government’s Energy Star program.
Before filling out the Yardstick form, you will need to gather the following information about your home and its energy use:
- Your home’s square footage.
- Your home’s energy sources (electricity, natural gas, coal, etc.).
- The history of the last 12 months of energy use and costs from your energy bills.
Once you have this information, input it into the form to get an energy-use score along a “ruler.” The form also provides your yearly energy use and cost amounts. After calculating your home’s efficiency during the previous year, you can also use the yardstick to calculate how much you would save by reducing your energy usage by different amounts.
To help you reduce your energy usage in the future, Energy Star provides suggestions to help your home become more efficient. For example, the site recommends keeping your air conditioner set above 76 degrees during the summer. It also suggests setting the heater below 72 degrees during the winter. Since the Tucson area tends to have hot weather during large portions of the year, cutting back on air conditioning costs can be a huge money saver. Some other tips for cutting back on energy use include:
- Developing an energy-savings strategy.
- Having your ductwork and HVAC system professionally inspected at least once per year to check for leaks and other problems that reduce efficiency.
- Having your utility company or an experienced HVAC company perform an energy audit on the house.
- Installing a zoned temperature-control system.
- Taking shorter showers and installing reduced-flow water fixtures.
For more ideas on ways to save energy in the Tucson area, contact the friendly experts at Rite-Way Ventilating Co.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about the Energy Star Yardstick and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Rite-Way Ventilating Co services Tucson, Marana, Catalina, Oro Valley, Vail, Sahuarita, Green Valley and Tubac, AZ. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!